December 6, 2023

20 Types of Temporary Work Visas in the U.S.

The United States, often referred to as the “land of opportunity,” has long been a hub for individuals seeking employment and career prospects from around the world. The U.S. offers a wide range of temporary work visas to accommodate professionals, athletes, entertainers, religious workers, and many more.

Below are the 20 types of temporary work visas in the United States, with details regarding the eligibility criteria, application processes, and benefits of each. Contact Sidman Law Group in Los Angeles for assistance with any of these non-immigrant visas.

What Is a Temporary Work Visa in the U.S.?

A temporary work visa is a legal document that allows foreign nationals to work in a specific country for a limited duration. In the context of the United States, these visas enable individuals from abroad to engage in employment for a defined period, often tied to their job type or purpose.

These visas have various categories, such as H-1B for skilled professionals or P-1 for athletes and entertainers. Temporary work visas are subject to specific eligibility criteria and regulations, ensuring that foreign workers contribute positively to the host country’s economy and culture.

Types of Temporary Work Visas

1. CW-1: CNMI-Only Transitional Worker

The CW-1 visa, designed for individuals who wish to work in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), is part of the CNMI-Only Transitional Worker program. This visa is particularly relevant to foreign workers in industries such as construction, healthcare, and hospitality in the CNMI.

2. E-1 Treaty Traders

The E-1 Treaty Trader visa is for individuals involved in substantial international trade between the U.S. and their home country. To qualify, the applicant must be a citizen of a treaty country and engage in trade activities that qualify under the treaty.

3. E-2 CNMI Investor

As part of the CNMI-Only Investor visa program, the E-2 CNMI Investor visa is available to foreign nationals who wish to invest in businesses in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

4. E-2 Treaty Investors

The E-2 Treaty Investor visa is akin to the E-1 visa but is designed for individuals who wish to develop and direct businesses in the U.S. based on a substantial investment. Like the E-1 visa, eligibility is determined by treaty agreements with the individual’s home country.

5. E-3 Certain Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia

The E-3 visa is exclusively available to Australian citizens with a job offer in the U.S. for a specialty occupation. This visa is akin to the H-1B visa, but it is specifically reserved for Australian professionals.

6. H-1B Specialty Occupations and Fashion Models

The H-1B visa is one of the most widely recognized temporary work visas. It is meant for foreign professionals who have job offers in the U.S. in specialty occupations, which typically require a bachelor’s degree or higher. H-1B also covers fashion models of distinguished merit and ability.

7. H-2A Agricultural Workers

The H-2A visa is tailored for foreign agricultural workers, allowing them to temporarily work in the U.S. in seasonal agricultural jobs when there is a shortage of domestic labor.

8. H-2B Non-Agricultural Workers

The H-2B visa, similar to the H-2A, is intended for non-agricultural temporary workers. It provides opportunities for foreign nationals to fill seasonal or peak-load positions in various industries, such as hospitality and landscaping.

9. H-3 Nonimmigrant Trainee

The H-3 visa facilitates practical training or special education programs for foreign nationals in the U.S. Trainees under this category should not be placed in jobs that are readily available to U.S. workers.

10. I Representatives of Foreign Media

The I visa is designated for representatives of foreign media organizations, such as journalists and reporters, who need to work in the U.S. while performing their duties

11. L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager

The L-1A visa allows multinational companies to transfer their executives or managers to the U.S. to manage an existing branch, subsidiary, or affiliate. This visa category is crucial for executives and managers looking to gain experience in the U.S.

12. L-1B Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge

Similar to the L-1A visa, the L-1B visa permits multinational companies to transfer employees with specialized knowledge to the U.S. These employees play a crucial role in improving the company’s overall productivity.

13. O-1 Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

The O-1 visa is designated for individuals with extraordinary abilities or achievements in their respective fields, whether it’s the arts, sciences, athletics, education, or business. This visa is highly competitive and requires substantial evidence of the individual’s exceptional talent.

14. P-1A Internationally Recognized Athlete

The P-1A visa targets internationally recognized athletes who wish to compete or perform in the U.S. To qualify, the athlete must have gained substantial recognition in their sport.

15. P-1B Member of Internationally Recognized Entertainment Group

The P-1B visa is ideal for members of entertainment groups that are internationally renowned. These groups may encompass musicians, actors, or other entertainment professionals

16. P-2 Performer or Group Performing under Reciprocal Exchange Program

The P-2 visa is tailored for artists and entertainers who are part of a reciprocal exchange program between the U.S. and their home country. It facilitates cultural exchange and artistic collaboration.

17. P-3 Artist or Entertainer Part of a Culturally Unique Program

The P-3 visa is intended for artists and entertainers who are part of culturally unique programs. This could involve traditional music, dance, or other artistic expressions that are deeply rooted in the culture of their home country.

18. Q Cultural Exchange

The Q visa is aimed at individuals participating in international cultural exchange programs in the U.S. These programs are designed to promote cultural understanding and education.

19. R-1 Temporary Religious Workers

The R-1 visa allows religious workers, such as ministers, priests, and other religious figures, to temporarily work in religious organizations in the U.S. This visa is essential for those looking to spread their religious teachings or practices.

20. TN NAFTA Professionals

Under the NAFTA agreement, the TN visa is available to professionals from Canada and Mexico who are engaged in specific professions, such as engineers, scientists, and healthcare professionals. To qualify, applicants must meet the NAFTA requirements.

Expert U.S. Immigration Lawyer in Los Angeles

Each of these temporary work visas comes with its unique set of criteria and regulations, and it is essential for applicants to understand and adhere to the requirements set forth by U.S. immigration authorities. Whether you are an Australian professional with a specialty occupation, a talented artist, an athlete, a religious worker, or a member of an internationally recognized entertainment group, the U.S. offers a temporary worker visa that may suit your career goals.

Remember that U.S. immigration laws are subject to change, so it’s essential to stay informed about the latest updates. Consult with Sidman Law Group, expert U.S. immigration attorneys, for guidance on the visa that best fits your needs, as well as to discuss the respective eligibility requirements. Navigating the U.S. immigration system can be complex, but with the right information and guidance, you can pursue your dream of working in the United States.

We Can Help You Achieve Your American Dream

We handle all types of immigration cases, including business and family immigration matters as well as deportation and removal cases.